Sunday, May 16, 2010

CSA Membership

For Christmas, Warren and I bought ourselves a share from Whitton Farm's Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program. This means that every week when we go to the Memphis Farmer's Market, we get a giant bag of goodies straight from the farm.

Last week was our first pick up. It was pouring rain, flooding, and threatening tornadoes, but we made it!


From Whitton Farms we got sweet potatoes, radishes, green onions, basil, oregano, sorrell, heirloom lettuce, and kale. Since we were early, I was able to get some farm fresh eggs for the first time ever and we also picked up some hydroponic tomatoes, strawberries, baby bok choy, chinese broccoli, and groovy granola.

It was a pretty hectic week so Warren didn't have a chance to spend too much time in the kitchen. I was happy to have fresh strawberries and groovy granola on my usual breakfast of Greek yogurt. I made omelets almost every day. We ate salads a lot! Warren roasted chicken one night and roasted the sweet potatoes too. He also stir fried the baby bok choy. On Wednesday he cooked a huge batch of kale that I shared with my (very happy) coworkers. On Friday he made some pesto with the basil.


We still had a ton of food in the produce drawers when I headed out on Saturday to pick up our second share! This week's bag included red potatoes, turnips, radishes, heirloom lettuces, shitake mushrooms and some more onions and herbs. In addition, I bought more hydroponic tomatoes, strawberries, goat cheese, and granola.



Oh but that's not all. Some (really awesome) friends who are out of town gave us their share from Downing Hollow Farms which I picked up at the Cooper Young Market. The Downing Hollow CSA included artisan bread, homemade jam, a dahlia plant, mushrooms, strawberries, nettles, lettuces, radishes, carrots, and more.


Our pantry runneth over!

I think we're actually a little overwhelmed. Stay tuned to see how we sort things out! And, come over for a salad!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...